I LOVE TO READ IDEAS
February is I Love to Read month. We asked you to share your activities and success stories, and you did! Here are some of amazing ideas that have been a part of I Love to Read month celebrations in Manitoba in the past. We hope these ideas inspire you and encourage you to send in your own great ideas of how to celebrate I Love to Read month in your school library. See the "Grants" page on this website to find out how sending the MSLA your I Love to Read activities can lead to more money for your school library!
At Acadia Jr. High School, students were asked to share their favourite books via Twitter, using the hashtag #ilovetoreadmonth. The results were impressive, and we have some examples, as well as a “how to” below for those of you wishing to try this idea. Thanks to Jo-Anne Gibson for sharing this idea.
1) Find a picture of an open, blank book and copy it onto a Powerpoint Slide.
2) Locate a picture of the book you are recommending and copy it onto your Powerpoint Slide.
3) Insert a text box and type a message about the book you are recommending to others in 140 characters or less (one sentence maximum). Don’t retell the story – just capture their imagination about the book in one sentence.
4) Insert a text box and write in your name and class.
5) Save “current slide only” as a JPEG
6) Either Tweet your message yourself or bring it to your teacher to Tweet. Remember to insert the picture into your Tweet. Add #ilovetoreadmonth and send it to whomever you think would like to see it by using the @ sign.
Whyte Ridge Elementary School hosted several exciting events, including school participation in Forest of Reading, an I Love to Read Month assembly and puppet show, guest readers: Goldeyes pitcher Brendan Laferty, Winnipeg Blue Bombers Teague Sherman and Rory Kohlert, and Take Pride Winnipeg & Mary Gloor. The school was also featured in the “Bombers Pass on Their Love of Reading” video which was featured on the Winnipeg Blue Bombers site. Thanks to Michelle Carlos for sharing these great activities!
St. Mary’s Academy celebrated I Love to Read Month in a variety of ways. Below is a write up from the “I Love to Read Month” committee. Thank you to Sheryl Chongva for sharing this information!
Follow the link below to download a fantastic 13 page PDF which contains photos, posters and activity ideas!
Glenlawn Collegiate hosted a Blind Date with a book activity! Thanks to Vanessa Davidson for sharing.
Sherwood School was busy during I Love to Read Month. Thank you Niki Card for sharing.